On Wednesday 12th March 2014, Year 13 students from Magherafelt High School, Sperrin Integrated, St Mary’s Grammar, Rainey Endowed and St Pius X College attended a training workshop for writing effective Personal Statements by understanding their competencies and selling points.
Personal Statements can make or break a student’s opportunity to gain a place on their course of choice. This workshop provided students with the tools to prepare memorable Personal Statements to give them every opportunity to gain University places.
The workshop also provided students with the following useful skills:
- The reason for the Personal Statement
- How to research the key competencies required for their course / career.
- Training in the use of STAR approach to determine and prepare “stories” based on the students key skills, attributes and experiences relevant to their chosen course and career.
- A checklist of key questions that students need to ask themselves as they write their personal statement to ensure they provide the Universities with all the information they want to see.
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Personal Statements
- Tips for turning an average Personal Statement into a memorable Personal Statement.
This event was provided by Purple Patch – Interview Skills Coaching